Monday, August 20, 2007

Sad

Went to a funeral today. Second one of the year.

It was my cousin. He had diabetes. Apparently what happened was he had the flu. So he couldn't keep any food down and that made his already crazy blood sugar worse and he slipped into a coma. They aren't sure how long he was in a coma before they found him, because he lived alone.

So he was in a coma for 5 or 6 months and he just deteriorated. He kept getting infections and my aunt finally decided to tell them to not treat them anymore. He was brain dead and not getting any better and they were only prolonging his suffering at that point. So I think it was a good choice, because he wouldn't have turned around had they treated the infection.

They had the funeral blanket pulled all the way up to his chest because his arms had started to curl into a fetal position during the coma. I don't like to walk up to the body at a funeral, there is something about it that just doesn't feel right to me. I only did it once at a child's funeral and it was the worst experience I have ever had. Seeing from across the room works for me.

Sorry to bring down the mood...

No comments: