Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Trials and tribulations of a license...

...a marriage license.

So the wedding date is damn soon and I figured I should get my ass in gear and apply for the marriage license. Turns out there is a new administration in our town an the person who used to be the registrar, and whom I knew, is no longer there. So I go about trying to find out who is it so I could be sure I had everything I needed to get the license and to be sure someone would be there.

I called last Monday morning, found out who it was and had to leave a voice mail. Tuesday i hadn't heard back, so I call again...voice mail and a second message. Getting more annoyed I call Tuesday afternoon, finally she answers. I confirm the stuff I need and ask if it was ok to come in on Wednesday with the man and my mom, cause we needed a witness (cause suddenly a driver's license is not a concrete piece of identification?). The woman says that would be fine and if she isn't there someone would be able to help me.

Wednesday we go in around 1:30, the time I told the registrar I would come in, and she isn't there. I have to asked 3 people who it is who could help us. A woman comes out of the tax office and says she can help out. We fill out everything, confirm the info and she tells me to come back Monday or Tuesday to pick it up.

Tuesday I decide to go pick up the license during my lunch hour. Thinking I just need to run in and pick it up. Yeah, I was wrong. I go to the office and the registrar is not there, as usual. A woman at a desk tells me that the license is typed up but IT ISN'T SIGNED!!!!! and the registrar is out of the office until after two, which is when I need to be back at work. So I said I didn't think she would need to be here, I was told I could just pick it up. They said well when are you done work, I said 5:00 and they said oh yeah we are closed by then so that isn't good. Finally a woman says she would leave a note for the registrar to sign the form so that I could pick it up on Wednesday. So I leave irritated because it should have been signed adn having to come back again is f-in ridiculous.

So I go back today. Again during my lunch hour. And you know what, the registrar WASN'T THERE! Surprised huh? So the woman who helped me last week was able to get into her office and date the license and give it to me. So I head home.

When I get home I look at the license because I noticed in the office that the woman wrote our social security numbers on the back and then she put an arrow to indicate that the numbers should be swapped. So I was curious as to why she did that.

This is when I almost exploded in anger. Upon my closer look at the license I discover that the farking registrar switch all the information around and it was in the wrong spaces, so it said I was the groom and the man was the bride! So I basically had a completely invalid license. So I tried calling the offices and, of course, no one answers their phones. So I had to go back to show them that they were farking idiots and that I needed a new license. The woman who helped me didn't look too surprised that it was messed up and rolled her eyes and gave an irritated sigh. I told her that this has been the only part in the wedding planning that has been a total pain the ass.

So she went to get another form, and asked where my street was. I told her and she said, well I can't sit here right now and type this out because I have to go pick up my son, and I can't sign it anyway so I have to wait for the registrar to come back to give it to you anyway. So she said she would drop it off at my house tonight. Finally someone who is helpful and wiling to fix their retardedness.

And that has honestly been the most stress inducing part of the whole wedding planning. It has totally put me in a rage this week.

2 comments:

dykewife said...

we went to a jewelry store where the people there were marriage licence issuers. it took all of about 15 minutes for us to get our licence filled out, paid for and in our hot little clutches. you have to go through way too much work.

Only me said...

Can't you just print one of t'interweb? ;)