Friday, December 14, 2007

la-zers

Work has been so slow l lately it's almost painful. I sit here and just read blogs and news all day long and then I go home and my eyes are so dry I need to use my drops and my eye gel.

The reason my eyes get so dry, other than the reading, is that I had laser surgery to fix my horrendous vision.

I started wearing glasses when I was 6 years old and it just went down hill from there. Between 6 and 8 I would go to the eye doctor about every 6 months and every time my vision got worse. By 8 I was wearing bifocals to try slow the degeneration of my vision. Bifocals suck especially for an active 8 year old. By the time I was 11 I was in hard contact lenses. This was another attempt to slow the worsening of my vision. The theory being the contact lens would hold the curvature of my eyeball and slow everything down. By 15 I wanted laser surgery, but they wouldn't do it until I stopped growing...bastards. So I wore hard (semi permiable) lenses for a while until we realized that my body liked to destroy them by leaving deposits all over them, leading to needed them professionally cleaned every few months. So I switched to the disposable soft ones. I wore them until college when I got to the point where they weren't making them in my virtually blind prescription. So I ended up going back to glasses.

At 25 my prescription had relatively stopped getting worse. And my parents made me the promise that they would help me pay for the laser surgery since no freaking insurance company would pay for it. (At the time they didn't, not sure if they do now) So I decided to go for it.

I made my appointment at Kremer Laser Center and got the news that I would need to go with their top tier plan because my vision was so poor. They couldn't guarantee me 20/20 vision either because my prescription was so bad. However, with the top tier plan I would have lifetime coverage in case I needed to go back for touch ups. Apparently when your vision is so poor there is the chance that your vision will slide back a touch and you can go back and have it redone.

So I had it done and ended up with 20/20 in both eyes. It was the coolest thing I have ever done. Nothing like waking up and being able to see every morning. My eyes were so bad I couldn't even see the clock next to my bed without glasses or without bringing the clock 2 inches from my face.

The only issue I had was my night vision wasn't that great afterwards and it still isn't, but I think that's a small price to pay. I also did have to go back in for a "tune up" about 3 or 4 years later. Which opened up a whole new can of worms. That part sucked, but I still recommend getting it done.

No comments: